HORIBA's CAMSIZER Digital Image Processing Particle Size and Shape Analysis System provides rapid and precise particle size and particle shape distributions for dry powders and bulk material in the size range from 20 microns to 30 millimeters. This technique provides a wide variety of information about the sample, from a general size measurement, to shape parameters that can be closely correlated to specific performance characteristics. This also allows correlation to existing data from techniques as diverse as sieving, microscopy, and hand caliper measurement.
The CAMSIZER is a compact laboratory instrument for simultaneous measurement of particle size distribution and particle shape, number and density of powders and granules. The patented design is the only one to use two cameras and greatly extends the measurement range while maintaining accuracy and sensitivity throughout.
Thanks to the unique scanning of all particles and the newly developed fitting algorithms, the measuring results are 100% compatible to those of sieve analysis. This makes the CAMSIZER the ideal time and cost-saving alternative for incoming and outgoing controls and for in-process quality control.
In combination with the optional AutoSampler, efficiency can be increased by high sample throughput due to the automated sample measurement.
Application Examples: abrasives, carbon products, pelletized carbon black, coffee, catalysts, fertilizers, food products, glass/ceramics, metal powders, pharmaceuticals, plastics, polystyrene, refractory products, salt, sand, sugar, and many others.
The CAMSIZER is manufactured by Retsch Technology GmbH and distributed in many parts of the world by HORIBA.
- NEW: Improved data correlation to sieve analysis, including multi-modal distributions.
- NEW: Sample optimized, intuitive software.
- NEW: Additional shape parameters including sphericity, aspect ratio, convexity, symmetry, roundness, elongation, circularity, and surface texture analysis.
- NEW: Language versions including English, German, French, Japanese, and Spanish.
- Wide Size Range: 20 microns to 30 millimeters in one measurement with no hardware changes required; a 1500:1 dynamic range.
- Measurement Principle: The instrument employs digital image processing to measure size, shape, number and density of solid particles.
- High Resolution: Two linked, high resolution, full-frame cameras, with different resolutions, operating simultaneously, form an intelligent measuring system with a very wide dynamic range while still capturing images of all particles in the sample.
- Monitor the particle size distribution with real-time calculation during the measurement
- Image acquisition at 60 frames per second
- High-intensity, long life stroboscope LED light source
- Automatic sheeting air to keep camera and light source windows clear of dust
- Automatic measurement chamber vacuum eliminates velocity biasing by maintaining equal particle velocity independent of size, shape or density
- Sample introduction via automatic speed-controlled vibratory feeder
- Automatic feeder hopper height control
- 30 seconds to 4 minute analysis time, depending on sample type
- ISO-traceable certified calibration reticle with a particle size distribution of 60 microns to 14 mm (maximum inaccuracy of 0.1 microns per object).
- Every particle is analyzed from each pixel to each other pixel in all orientations before binning into 64 classes.
- High resolution analysis in at least 1,000 up to 3,000 saved, size classes per run.
- Ten user-selectable measurement size models for superb correlation to particle width, particle length or equivalent area to get excellent correlation to results from laser scattering, hand caliper measurements and sieve analysis.
Manufactured by Retsch Technology GmbH
- Size Range: 20 microns - 30 millimeters
- Measurement Time: Typically between 30 seconds and 4 minutes, depending on statistics required.
- Measurements: 60 images per second with more than 780,000 pixels.
- Sample Requirement: 25g to 2.5kg per measurement, depending on sample type and statistics desired.
- Data Classes: 1000 classes of logarithmically or fixed segments of data by graph or distribution table based on a number of size and shape parameters.
The CAMSIZER uses the principle of digital image processing. The sample is transported to the measurement field via a vibratory feeder where the particles drop between an extended light source and two CCD cameras. The projected particle shadows are recorded at a rate of more than 60 images per second and analyzed. In this way every single particle in the bulk material flow is recorded and evaluated. Thus, it is possible to measure a wide range of particles from 20 microns to 30 millimeters extremely accurately, without having to switch measuring ranges or make adjustments.
Thanks to extremely short exposure times, the novel LED strobe light source allows very sharp images to be produced and distortion-free determination of the projection areas. The sharp contrast allows, at the same time, details of the surface structure of the particles to be seen almost like through a microscope. The frequency of the light strobing is so high it is not visible to the naked eye, yet the additional brightness significantly improves particle contrast.
With the unique, patented two-camera system a great depth of sharpness, and therefore maximum precision across the entire measuring range is obtained. The zoom camera provides maximum resolution down to the fine range, while the basic camera also records larger particles and guarantees a high statistical certainty in the results. This ensures the excellent reproducibility of the CAMSIZER measuring results, even if only a relatively small sample amount is available. The results are saved in at least 1,000 size classes.
CAMSIZER - Dynamic Image Analyzer for Particle Size and Shape Distributions
The particle measuring instrument CAMSIZER is supplied as a complete "stand alone" unit with everything you need to immediately begin measuring your samples including:
- LED stroboscope light source
Two high resolution full-frame matrix cameras as adaptive measuring system
Air flushing unit for cleaning and built-in venturi for the unique measurement chamber vacuum
HP Instrument control system PC with a high speed processor, 24" LCD monitor and color printer
PC interface board for hardware communication
For complete automation of the sample analysis sequence, the Autosampler can accommodate up to 12 samples at a time. Set up the samples and walk away, or continue adding samples as previous samples are completed. Adding automation provides all the advantages of continuous unattended operation. These include reduced labor costs, elimination of human error, and exceptionally reliable, repeatable measurements.
Pharmaceutical Regulation Compliance
A 21 CFR part 11 compliant software package is available, as well as a full instrument validation package.