By 1963, SPEX had grown into a recognized spectrometer manufacturer, and was ready for a move to a larger building. The building in Edison, New Jersey became its new home.
In the same year, there was an important collaboration with Bell Telephone Laboratories’ Professor Sergio Porto in Murray Hill, New Jersey, that led to the 1965 development of the SPEX model 1400 double spectrometer for laser Raman spectroscopy. In 1964, a 3.4 meter Ebert Spectrograph was constructed and used to produce the first SPEX Certified Reference materials featured in the first Certified Reference Materials Catalog. Also in 1964, the company was incorporated as SPEX Industries Incorporated.