- Compact Size
- Operates in Analog or Photon Counting Modes
- Detection from 185 to 900 nm
- Complete Package
- LCD display of output signal
- Easy to Use
PMT's are better than photodiodes and APD's for low light detection
Although the quantum efficiency (QE) of a PMT is less than that of a silicon photodiode or avalanche photodiode (APD), a PMT has a much lower limit of low light detection due to the high current amplification (~ 107) of the electron multiplier in the PMT. It is because of this large gain and low noise that a PMT provides significantly better low light sensitivity than a photodiode or APD.
Looking for NIR Detection?
The HORIBA ambient PMT housing includes the following
- On/off switch
- Complete analog and photon counting circuitry
- Analog or photon counting mode/output switch
- Line voltage power supply
- High voltage power supply
- LCD display of PMT high voltage or measured analog signal
- Signal out BNC connection
- High voltage adjustment knob
- External high voltage control input BNC connection (for optional external control)
- RF shielded case
- Internal socket for most 1 1/8-inch side-on photomultiplier tubes
HORIBA's photomultiplier detection system is very convenient and easy to use. It is built as a complete unit using modern design techniques and components. Everything needed to quantitate the intensity of light is packaged into a compact, attractive housing that attaches conveniently to your experiment. There are no unsightly boxes for power supplies or a multitude of cables tangled on your bench-top. The system incorporates a high voltage supply, all detector electronics, and the controls in a compact, attractive housing that also contains the PMT. You have a choice of standard PMTs to choose from or you can select from any other 1 1/8-inch side-on photomultiplier tubes that operate from -200 to -1,100 Volts DC. The PMT high voltage is shown on a digital display on the housing or you can select to show the actual analog signal from the PMT with just a flip of a switch. The high voltage can be adjusting manually or controlled externally with a signal at the “External Voltage Control” BNC. Power is delivered from an external AC adapter that is included.