21705 - User Interface Software Engineer
HORIBA MIRA is a world-class, independent provider of autonomy technology to the UK Defence sector
We are seeking a User Interface Software Engineer to join a small, fast-moving team working to create advanced robot prototypes and products. For the right candidate, we offer an opportunity to help set the agenda and organize the development of our User Interfaces.
The ideal candidate has experience leading and participating in User Interface design and implementation. Examples of excellent practical experience includes desktop and mobile User Interfaces, for controlling Autonomous Vehicles and Robots, providing an intuitive and enjoyable user experience.
The candidate will be expected to write software, conduct experiments, communicate results, support high-profile demonstrations and develop innovative solutions to new problems. We offer a relaxed but hardworking environment where individuals are recognised for their personal performance.
Main purpose of the job
- Own the design of User Interfaces for all aspects of our autonomous systems, such as system setup, mission planning, operator control, sensor visualisation, etc.
- Responsible for the implementation / coding of our User Interfaces.
- Illustrating User Interface elements such as buttons, map imagery and markers, vehicle telemetry feedback and graphs, sensor visualisation, low latency video streaming, etc.
- Interacting with vehicle systems over low latency and reliable communications networks.
- Working with larger user interfaces for desktop/laptop usage and smaller user interfaces for portable controllers.
- Gather system requirements / user stories.
- Write system test plans and assist in validation testing.
- Document work and assist with the transition of new capabilities, technologies, and prototypes into a product development environment.
- Support establishing HORIBA MIRA as the technical partner of choice for the development of autonomous off-highway technologies.
Essential- Worked as part of a team designing and implementing User Interfaces
Preferred- A senior member of, or leading, a team designing User Interfaces, UI design and implementation for Autonomous Vehicle or Robot control and worked with Agile development processes
- User Interface and user experience design principals and best practices
- Storyboarding / mock-ups
- Qt framework with QML
- C/C++ software development
- Basic knowledge of UDP/TCP networking
- Illustration / graphics design skills
- Data marshalling between QML and C++
- OpenGL and the Magnum Graphics Engine
- Java/Kotlin for Android development
- Windows/Linux development
- Knowledge of UDP/TCP networking and usage of communication middleware
- Google Protocol Buffers
Essential: A relevant engineering, science degree or equivalent,
- Post graduate qualification in Software Engineering or Computer Science
- Chartered status and member of a recognised professional institution
For further info, click here