21660 - EMC Military Technical Lead
HORIBA MIRA is a world-class, independent engineering consultancy, operating in multiple locations around the world, to support vehicle manufacturers and their supply chain with cutting-edge engineering and test expertise.
We offer full-system design, test and integration expertise to automotive, defence, rail and transport industries and also specialise in developing low carbon and autonomous and co-operative driving technologies.
At our headquarters in the Midlands, we have access to one of the most comprehensive vehicle proving grounds which boasts 93km of test tracks and over 35 world-class test facilities and laboratories. Our facilities, combined with the engineering expertise of our 600 strong team makes MIRA Technology Park Europe’s number one location for transport sector R&D.
HORIBA MIRA is looking for a Defence / Military EMC Specialist (Technical Lead) to join the EMC department. The successful candidate will be responsible for EMC programmes predominately for our military customers. The role requires strong technical project management to co-ordinate/lead test programmes with particular emphasis on Military EMC requirements, test consultancy, test programme delivery, data analysis, budget control, EMC problem resolution and design for EMC. The candidate will be required to manage multiple test and consultancy programs simultaneously whilst ensuring technical delivery is always met.
The main aspects of technical EMC responsibility for Military / Defence projects includes
- Consultant offering expertise against EMC Military / defence standards
- Assessing requirements / specification consultancy
- Technical control plan / test plan generation
- Technical consultancy EMC test methods / techniques
- Management / review supplier designs
- EMC testing facilitation across multiple laboratories
- Test data analysis / data validation
- Report deliverable documentation
Working within the Vehicle EMC delivery team you will ensure that technical delivery across the department is maintained to HORIBA MIRA quality standards. Secondary roles will include supporting the EMC Technical Manager and Vehicle Resilience department, to maintain HORIBA MIRA’s technical delivery and new technology development.
The following activities cover the typical requirements of the role:
- Department technical lead for MIL-STD-461 and DEF STAN 59-411 EMC testing and qualification programmes.
- Preparation of control plans / test plans across multiple Military platform types
- Technical review / Gap Analysis of Customer documentation/policies/procedures
- Provide hands-on project consultancy / problem resolution and product awareness
- Evaluation of EMC measurements, against relevant legislation / standards
Technical Project Management
- Scheduling and coordination of testing through HORIBA MIRA’s EMC test facilities
- Deliver expert support to test facility staff as directed by the EMC Technical Manager or as required
- Planning / delivery of multiple projects, potentially across varying companies / country locations
- Technical and commercial lead for projects under your control, including management of all customer deliverables, and accurate financial control through project budgets, tracking and reporting
- Customer key point of contact throughout the whole project lifecycle from enquiry to final project delivery
- Maintain detailed and accurate test records in accordance with UKAS / ISO 17025 requirements
- Perform project reviews and lessons learned on technically biased projects
- Take responsibility as technical lead to resolve issues that arise
- Preparation of detailed technical reports to present outcomes from EMC tests performed
- Authorisation / quality assessment for EMC technical reports delivered within the wider EMC team
- Provide direct training to HORIBA MIRA members of staff in disciplines where your technical expertise will enhance their skillsets through sharing of tacit knowledge
- Business development technical support, specifically for the Defence product sector
- Support HORIBA MIRA commercial team (as the technical lead) to evaluate technical capability, and evaluate project timing requirements
- Generate and deliver continuous improvement projects to further enhance the delivery of our defence / military business
- Support flexible working practises where business demands are required
- Execute project delivery in accordance with H-M procedures
- Full UK driving license pre-requisite
- Security clearance will be required
- Relevant training on essential test aspects (not already gained by the candidate) and associated safety measures required shall be provided
- Flexible working may be required
- In-depth knowledge of Defence EMC Standards (DEFSTAN 59-411, MIL STD 461, AECTP500)
- Experience in EMC practical test delivery, including testing and EMC problem resolution
- Trials against the above standards for EMC within a test facility, with an ability to provide technical support as required to deliver customer requirements
- Military Platform / System knowledge
- Logistic Support Vehicles
- Armoured Personnel Carriers
- Armoured Flighting / Combat Vehicles
- Forward Operating Base (FOB)
- Tactical Communication Systems – BOWMAN
- Electronic Countermeasure ECM equipment
- Confidence to operate directly with both Customer / MOD
- Demonstrate commercial awareness, service quality, and timely delivery
- Demonstrate an excellent understanding of the principles behind EMC test specifications and procedures
- Demonstrate technical delivery to include test plans, control plans, similar customer documentation
- Experience in process improvement and problem resolution projects
- Ability to meet aggressive deadlines
- Problem resolution techniques at component / sub-system / vehicle levels
- Strong analytical, planning, organisational, and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, particularly where technical information must be conveyed in a clear manner – presentation skills must be demonstrated
- Ability to train others, to enhance their skillsets with your knowledge
- Strong customer-facing communication skills
- Proficient computer skills, especially Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to function effectively as part of a team
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality
- Understanding and generation of H,S & E / Risk Assessment requirements
- HNC in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or equivalent time served experience
- Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or related subject and equivalent time served experience
- Relevant EMC Engineering experience
- Practical ‘hands-on’ EMC engineering
- RF / EM testing skills
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills
- Computer literate
- Ability to work with (and produce) detailed technical documentation including interpretation of requirements and product specifics as deliverables
- Defence or Automotive electrical / electronic background
- Minimum of 5 years EMC/RF test experience with a thorough understanding of defence applications
- Understanding of test facility configuration
- Understanding of vehicular electrical powertrains
- Understanding of RF Problem Resolution techniques at Component / Sub-system / Vehicle levels
HORIBA MIRA has 75 years of heritage in developing some of the world’s most iconic vehicles, our engineers utilise the latest test facilities and simulation tools to make vehicles and journeys safer, cleaner, more efficient and rewarding.
At HORBA MIRA we have a wide range of benefits including:-
- 27 days holiday + statutory days (with the option to participate in a holiday buy/sell scheme)
- A generous contributory pension plan
- A company performance related bonus scheme
- A fantastic Employee Assistance Programme which offers a range of wellbeing services to staff.
- Reimbursement of fees for corporate memberships for relevant Chartered/professional institution
- A range of tax efficient salary sacrifice options including a cycle to work scheme.
Right to work: - HORIBA MIRA actively promotes diversity and inclusion across our organisation, however this role does not meet the criteria to be considered within the current Home Office Shortage Occupation list.
For further information on the role and to apply, please click here.