21727 - Chief Engineer – Military Vehicle Electrical Systems
HORIBA MIRA is looking for a Chief Engineer – Military Vehicle Electrical Systems to join the Software and Electrical Engineering team.
The purpose of this role is the development of and technical leadership of our military vehicle
electrical systems capability. This will include responsibility for project technical delivery, driving
technical direction, developing team capability, and supporting business growth.
As our subject matter expert, you will lead and contribute to a team delivering engineering
consultancy, design, and test services to support our customers with their product development
programmes. This will include full project lifecycle from initial enquiry to delivery.
You will support our Capability Group Team Leader with team skills and capability development,
advising on staff training and professional development needs. You will lead and drive our technical
direction to include technology roadmaps, R&D plans, and strategic investments.
This is a leadership role requiring excellent communication skills and the ability to manage both
internal and external senior stakeholder engagement. As our primary technical customer interface,
you will also provide significant business development and sales support to our commercial team.
The candidate should have/be:
- An approachable, motivational, and inspirational leader
- An appetite for innovation with managed risk
- Be prepared for moderate travel both in the UK and overseas
- Appropriate behaviours in line with the HORIBA MIRA Values
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent personal presentation and gravitas
- Successful candidates must be able to work in the UK without restrictions and meet UK government security vetting criteria
To be successful in this role we are looking for individuals that have experience in:
- Technical leadership of military vehicle electrical systems projects
- Expert practitioner of requirements elicitation, architecture, and concept design, detailed electrical design, vehicle networks, integration, test, verification and validation
- Application of Defstan 61-005 and other Defstans related to military vehicle electrical systems
- Expert practitioner with relevant hardware and software tools
- Detailed understanding of defence project engineering lifecycle from requirements capture to V&V
- Proposal writing, cost estimating and report writing
- Team technical leadership and capability development
- Thought leadership and technology strategy development
- Leading the delivery of complex defence systems e.g., Electronic Warfare/Signals Intelligence, Electronic Counter-measures/Counter-IED or Military Communications Networks
- Development of electrical solutions for hybrid electric vehicles
- Development of electrical solutions for autonomous and driver assist applications for the automotive and defence industries
- Represent engineering interests in complex circumstances e.g., commercial negotiations and intellectual property management.
- Working knowledge of J1939 and MilCan protocols
- Working knowledge of functional safety
- Project technical leadership from initial enquiry through to delivery for a wide range of defence projects, customers, and products
- Ensure project technical direction is aligned with customer requirements, budgets, and timing
- Work with project managers to develop and refine timing plans, allocate activities to the team, monitor progress, resolve issues, and report project status
- Lead and deliver engineering, consultancy, and test activities for military vehicle low voltage and high voltage electrical systems, including but not limited to the following key areas:
- Requirements capture, system architecture definition and concept definition
- Network topology and architecture design
- Component selection and specialist component design
- Circuit and physical harness design
- Interface Control Documents (ICD’s)
- Integration and commissioning
- Test Evaluation Acceptance Planning (TEAP)
- Test Evaluation Acceptance Requirements (TEAR’s)
- Detailed Trials Specifications (DTS’s)
- Virtual and physical test execution
- Application of relevant Defence Standards such as 61-005, also providing compliance arguments and reports
- Work with the commercial team to define technology strategy, technical roadmaps, R&D plans, and investments
- Lead or participate in relevant internal and external committees, to include producing white papers, presenting, and representing the business as our SME
- Support team skills and capability development to include advising, co-ordinating and delivering staff training
- Support business development and sales activities including the development of proposals and cost estimates
- Educated to degree level in Electrical / Electronic engineering or similar related discipline
- Higher degree or post graduate qualification in a related area.
- Evidence of recent leadership skills development and continuous professional development
- Chartered Engineer
HORIBA MIRA is a global provider of automotive engineering, research, and test services, with 75
years of experience in developing some of the world’s most iconic vehicles.
Working in collaboration with vehicle manufacturers and suppliers around the world, we provide
comprehensive support ranging from technology development and individual product tests through
to full-vehicle design, development and build programmes.
At HORBA MIRA we have a wide range of benefits including:-
- 27 days holiday + statutory days (with the option to participate in a holiday buy/sell scheme)
- A generous contributory pension plan
- A company performance related bonus scheme
- A fantastic Employee Assistance Programme which offers a range of wellbeing services to staff.
- Reimbursement of fees for corporate memberships for relevant Chartered/professional institution
- A range of tax efficient salary sacrifice options including a cycle to work scheme.
The successful candidate must be able to work in the UK without restrictions and meet UK government security vetting criteria.
Right to work: - HORIBA MIRA actively promotes diversity and inclusion across our organisation, this role does not meet the criteria to be considered within the current Home Office Shortage Occupation list.
For further information, click here