21747 - ABDS Test Engineer
HORIBA MIRA – a world-leader in advanced engineering, research and product testing has a dedicated Advanced Battery Development Suite (ABDS), a £2m investment by the HORIBA Group into HORIBA MIRA’s engineering capabilities. The ABDS provides test and development services for battery packs and other components for hybrid and electric vehicles.
The facility enables HORIBA MIRA to complete cell, module and battery pack testing, simulated battery pack testing, integration testing and development of powertrain and battery packs at system level including EMC characterisation.
The main responsibilities of the role are: -
- Develop test scripts and set up and operate ABDS equipment to deliver customer and engineering test and development programmes for batteries, modules, and cells.
- Day to day management of the facility.
- Provide technical support and input to commercial proposals, validating technical content, cost, risks, and facility capabilities.
- Collaborate with MIRA Engineering teams to guide R & D activities and to further develop integrated battery test and engineering services for MIRA’s extensive customer base. For example, evaluate and improve battery system performance and cell characterisation techniques, protocols, and regimes. Also identify opportunities to develop and commercialise IP.
- Facility supervision
- Planning and organising ad hoc and preventative maintenance of equipment.
- Planning and organising calibration of equipment.
- Managing facility bookings.
- Monitoring and reporting KPI’s.
- Managing all aspects of QHS & E.
- Hosting customer visits.
- Test Engineering
- Delivering customer projects through ABDS, managing project timescales, cost, and quality, and providing clear communications with the customer.
- Designing, programming, and running test scripts for Test Automation System.
- Instrumentation of units in preparation for test (thermal and electrical instrumentation).
- Performing tests using the suite of ABDS equipment (pack cycler, thermal chamber, thermal management, test automation software).
- Post-processing test data utilising tools such as MATLAB/Simulink, dSPACE Control Desk, CANalyzer and PCAN explorer.
- Test support of HiL testing on a dSPACE SCALEXIO.
- Producing technical reports and test summaries for internal and external customers.
- Providing technical input to proposals for ABDS and battery abuse test prospects.
- Providing technical support to the wider electrification team as required.
- Flexible approach to working hours - occasional shifts and/or weekend working may be required.
- Security clearance will be required.
- Full UK driving licence.
Electrical test technician/engineer or development engineer ideally with a minimum of 3 years’ experience across the following areas:
- Electrical and electronic developmental testing of automotive systems / Battery systems.
- Working knowledge of Li-ion automotive/rail/aerospace battery systems
- Working knowledge of CAN systems and associated analysis tools such as Vector CANalyzer.
- Programming and scripting of control systems and exposure to MATLAB.
- Working knowledge of a wide array of test equipment and instrumentation such as DMMs, signal generators, oscilloscopes etc.
- Production of documentation for local HS&E control
- Working knowledge of MATLAB toolsets for post-processing and report generation.
- Working knowledge of test automation systems such as Kratzer PAtools, Bitrode or similar
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, able to convey deeply technical content to team members with differing technical abilities.
- Must have an aptitude for scripting & programming with a solid understanding of control flow.
- Be capable of delivering a high standard of technical writing.
- Have well-developed analytical skills – rigorous but pragmatic.
- Have good interpersonal skills – a consensus-builder not confrontational.
- Must be a self-starter and able to execute designated tasks accurately and within timing and budgetary constraints.
- Relevant engineering degree with a minimum of 2:1 (e.g. Electrical / Electronic Engineering or related)
- First Aid trained
- Fire Marshall trained
- HV Safety trained
HORIBA MIRA has 75 years of heritage in developing some of the world’s most iconic vehicles, our engineers utilise the latest test facilities and simulation tools to make vehicles and journeys safer, cleaner, more efficient and rewarding.
For a permanent offer: At HORBA MIRA we have a wide range of benefits including:-
- 27 days holiday + statutory days (with the option to participate in a holiday buy/sell scheme)
- A generous contributory pension plan
- A company performance related bonus scheme
- A fantastic Employee Assistance Programme which offers a range of wellbeing services to staff.
- Reimbursement of fees for corporate memberships for relevant Chartered/professional institution
- A range of tax efficient salary sacrifice options including a cycle to work scheme.
Right to work: - HORIBA MIRA actively promotes diversity and inclusion across our organisation, however this role does not meet the criteria to be considered within the current Home Office Shortage Occupation list.
For further information, click here