21792 - Test Engineer - Military Vehicle Electrical Systems
HORIBA MIRA is a world-class, independent engineering consultancy, operating in multiple locations around the world, offering full-system design, test, and integration expertise to automotive, defence, rail and transport industries.
Whilst traditionally known for our vehicle test services – including over 40 major facilities and 100km of Proving Ground – HORIBA MIRA is so much more than this. Over the last ten years, we have invested heavily in the evolution of our engineering capability and in the development of MIRA Technology Park, Europe’s leading mobility R&D location for developing the latest automotive technology.
The unique combination of engineering expertise, advanced testing facilities and prime location of MIRA Technology Park in the heart of the UK automotive industry, enables customers to develop and validate their technology, or vehicle, in one place.
The combination of our Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) engineering, power management expertise and extensive range of state-of-the-art test facilities, means that we are a world-leader in engineering design, test and consultancy. With the rapid growth in automated vehicle systems, complex powertrains and wireless technologies our EMC engineering services provide excellent career opportunities.
- Delivery of a range of Military and Automotive electrical vehicle systems testing, including execution of complex power systems testing at a vehicle level.
- Assist in the setup and running of day-to-day test activities to DefStan 61-5, ISO16750 and other related standards.
- Support in the generation of customer reports.
- Contribute to a multi-disciplinary team to support the delivery of complex projects following a gated readiness process where appropriate.
- Basic understanding of modern vehicle architectures and 2 wire system diagrams and how they relate to measurement points across the vehicle platform systems.
- Interpret and execute complex power system Detailed Trials Specifications and associated Test Plans.
- Support the installation, and operate power testing equipment for complex test setups, such as Transient generators, LISN’s, Load banks, DVM’s and current measurement devices.
- Support the set up and monitoring of communications interfaces for networks using CAN, Serial, Flexray and other vehicle-based protocols as required.
- Maintain and monitor data acquisition systems to maintain reliable operation and accuracy (for example LABview).
- Understand signal inputs and outputs, identify anomalies, and interpret results to determine pass/fail criteria.
- Support the generation of safe systems of work and dynamic risk assessments for the safe running day-to-day activities.
3-5 years’ experience in the following areas:
- Electrical testing or development of Military, Automotive or Commercial Vehicle systems to Def Stan 61-5 or ISO16750.
- Power testing equipment operation e.g., LISN’s, load banks etc.
- IT Literate – Microsoft Office with a strong ability to learn new software tools.
- Both Def Stan 61-5 and ISO16750 test implementation.
- NI LabVIEW or Vector systems experience
- Data processing toolsets e.g., DIADEM.
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, able to convey technical content to team members with differing technical ability
- Be a self-starter and able to execute designated tasks accurately and within timing and budget constraints
- Be IT Literate – Microsoft Office with a strong ability to learn new software tools.
- Demonstrate creative thinking and be open to new ideas
- Work well under pressure with a positive, can-do attitude
- Have well-developed analytical skills – rigorous but pragmatic
- Used to working in a team – adopts a collaborative and open working ethos and demonstrates the ability to perform critical reviews
- Successful candidates must be able to work in the UK without restrictions and meet UK government security vetting criteria.
- Relevant experience in a customer facing role.
- Potential shift working may be required as and when - 22% shift allowance awarded if applicable
- Relevant level 4/5 qualification in EMC, Electrical, Electronics or other relevant engineering discipline (HNC, HND, Apprenticeship).
- Significant relevant professional experience will be taken into consideration.
- Degree in a related Engineering discipline.
At HORBA MIRA we have a wide range of benefits including:-
- 27 days holiday + statutory days (with the option to participate in a holiday buy/sell scheme)
- A generous contributory pension plan
- A company performance related bonus scheme
- A fantastic Employee Assistance Programme which offers a range of wellbeing services to staff.
- Reimbursement of fees for corporate memberships for relevant Chartered/professional institution
- A range of tax efficient salary sacrifice options including a cycle to work scheme.
Right to work: - HORIBA MIRA actively promotes diversity and inclusion across our organisation, however this role does not meet the criteria to be considered within the current Home Office Shortage Occupation list.