Biological and Chemical Engineering
There are many biological, medical and engineering applications that may be characterised by spectroscopic ellipsometry such as:
- Monitor interface thickness in real-time: film growth, film adsorption
- Monitor real-time changes at interfaces
- Contamination, impurities detection
- Surface functionalisation: self-assembled monolayers
- Organic films, biofilms
Spectroscopic Ellipsometers are mainly used to investigate changes that occur at solid/ liquid, liquid/liquid and liquid/air interfaces.
The precision of the technique allows the accurate measurement of bio or organic film thickness with sub-angstrom resolution.
The major advantages of spectroscopic ellipsometry for this application are:
- Non destructive technique
- Measurement of ultra-thin film thickness
- Versatility as the investigation can be made in different ambient air, liquid or vacuum environments
- Kinetic measurements