This application links road-based RDE tests to the propulsion lab.
Using HORIBA STARS automation software and DYNAS powertrain dynos, vehicle tests can be replicated accurately. RDE environment emulation is achieved by a HORIBA MEDAS system which delivers a faithful reproduction of an entire RDE test or partial RDE scenario.
The RDE+ propulsion lab can run RDE tests an order of magnitude faster than on-road testing. Superior accuracy, repeatability and reliability allow RDE development to progress with increased efficiency.
Hardware-in-the-loop (HiL) approaches allow virtually generated vehicles and RDE scenarios to be played out on the powertrain hardware. This delivers further time and cost savings to the vehicle program and allows for earlier validation of powertrain systems.
Time and Cost Savings from Powertrain RDE Testing
- More accurate and reliable data promotes earlier and safer decision-making
- Higher productivity – propulsion testing is faster, more productive and lower cost than chassis testing
- Test can be run more quickly, back to back, and automated
- Eliminate delays – environmental testing is decoupled from natural seasons
- Fewer vehicle prototypes required
Confidence and Accuracy Improvements
- Precision lab testing to evaluate and develop components, systems, calibrations and fuels and lubes on the powertrain early in the program
- Evaluate changes over real measured RDE test cycles
- Higher repeatability – run sections of tests over and over
- Higher accuracy and repeatability reduce error margins in attribute targets